Information we collect
When you visit our website, you may be asked to voluntarily provide your personal information, such as your name, company name, user id, street address, telephone number, email address and related information when you are requesting a quote, ordering products, signing up for a newsletter, or providing general feedback. If you opt not to provide us with personal information, you can still access our website; however, you may be unable to use certain functionalities on the website, such as requesting a quote or ordering products.
During a normal visit to our website, some non personally identifiable information about you is collected. This is data that does not permit direct association with any specific individual and is collected on an aggregated (or anonymous) basis. Non-personal information may include information such as tracking website pages that are visited, amount of time spent on the website, clicks, page views, browser type and version, and zip code.
Also, certain functionalities of our website may allow you to create login credentials by typing in your user name/ID and password and other information or by using social network credentials, such as LinkedIn or Facebook. If you choose to create login credentials where you allow us or a third party to access your credential information that is publicly available or that you have made publicly available (e.g., user ID, profile picture, etc.), you “allow” our website to access and store this same information. For information regarding third party website privacy practices that may be linked to our website, refer to those third parties privacy statements; as Anixter does not own or operate those third party or social networking websites.
The email and share functionalities on our website provide you with the opportunity to share content by emailing website content to anyone you choose including yourself or by sharing the information on a social networking website. When you share the information on a social networking website, you allow us to receive your personal and other information that is accessible.
What do we use your information for?
Our primary goal in collecting personal information from you when you visit our website is to provide you the functionality and services that you need to have for a meaningful and tailored experience while using our website features.
Any of the information we collect from you may be used in one of the following ways for internal business purposes:
- To personalize your experience – your information helps us to better respond to your individual needs;
- To improve our website – we continually strive to improve our website offerings based on the information and feedback we receive from you;
- To improve customer service – your information helps us to more effectively respond to your customer service requests and support needs;
- To analyze and manage our business – your information, whether public or private, will not be sold, exchanged, transferred, or given to any third party for any reason whatsoever, without your consent, other than for the express purpose of delivering on a request you have made to us;
- To fulfill orders and requests for products, services or information
- To process credit card payment
- To track orders and process returns and exchanges
- To track and confirm online orders
- To send periodic emails -the email address you provide will only be used to send you brochure fulfillment, response to request for quotation, marketing and promotional information, etc., as requested. Note: If at any time you would like to unsubscribe from receiving future emails, we include detailed unsubscribe instructions at the bottom of each email;
- To assist you in posting materials should we allow this capability in the future, such as reviews or stories, to our website – in doing so, your name may also be posted (please keep in mind that if you disclose personally identifiable information or other sensitive data through a chat room, message board, or other public online forums, this information may be collected and used by others);
- To comply with legal requirements. We may collect, use, transfer, and disclose non-personal information for any purposes.
Our primary goal in collecting aggregate (non-personal) information from you is to be able to perform website metrics that allow us to improve the functionality of the website and to understand which parts of the website are of most interest.
If we do combine non-personal information with personal information the combined information will be treated as personal information for as long as it remains combined.
Location of Your Personal Data
As Anixter operates internationally, we may need to make your personal data available to companies and/or branches within our group which may be located outside your jurisdiction notably in countries which do not provide the same level of protection of personal data as in your jurisdiction.
This website is hosted on our web servers in the United States. By using Anixter’s website, and providing your personal data to Anixter, you consent to the processing and transfer outside your jurisdiction, which may not provide an equivalent level of data protection to the laws in your home country.
If you are opposed to the transfer of your personal data please refer to the Section below “Your Rights & Your Consent”.
Your rights and your Consent
You may at any time review or ask for the rectification or removal of your personal data held by Anixter as well as object, at no charge, to any further use of the same personal data, such as for direct marketing purposes or the transfer of your personal data, by contacting us at Anixter Inc. 2301 Patriot Blvd, Glenview, IL, 60026, USA, or by e-mail at email@example.com. Further information may also be requested from national data protection authorities.
How do we protect your information?
Anixter maintains appropriate technical and organizational security measures to protect the security of your personal information against loss and misuse. Anixter will use its best efforts to see that data transferred outside your jurisdiction will remain subject to the same security and confidentiality regime as the one they would have been subject to if located within your jurisdiction. We use reasonable security measures to protect the confidentiality of personal information under our control and appropriately limit access to it. We use a variety of information security measures to protect your online transactions with us. Our websites use encryption technology, such as Secure Sockets Layer (SSL), to protect your personal information during data transport. SSL protects information you submit via our websites such as ordering information, including your name, address and credit card number. However, we cannot guarantee that any electronic commerce is totally secure. We encourage you to take affirmative steps to protect yourself online, including ensuring that any online account information you have remains secure
Yes, cookies are small text files that a website or its service provider transfers to your devices, such as mobile devices or computers through your web browser (if you allow) that enables the websites or service providers’ systems to recognize your browser and capture and remember certain information. This can include whether you clicked on particular links or pages, or read pages on the site months or even years ago.
There are different types of cookies used by our website that have been categorized based on the guidelines found in the ICC UK Cookie guide. We use the following categories on our websites.
- Category 1 – Strictly necessary cookies – these are essential cookies that let you move around the website and use its features, like accessing the shopping cart and submitting a request for quote. Without them, these features cannot be provided. These cookies do not collect any information that could be used for marketing or remembering where you’ve been on the internet.
- Category 2 – Performance cookies – these collect information about how you use a website, for instance, which pages you go to most often, and if you get error messages. They do not collect information that identifies you, and all information is anonymous. It is used only to improve how the website works.
- Category 3 – Functional cookies – these remember choices you make (such as the language or the region you are in) and provide personalized features. They can remember changes you have made to the text size, fonts and other parts of the web pages that you can customize if the capabilities are available to you. They may also provide services you’ve asked for, such as watching a video or commenting on a blog if those capabilities are available to you.
Within these types of cookies, cookies are sorted as either temporary (“session” cookies) or more long-term (“persistent” cookies).
- “Session” cookies link your actions in one session only. This “session” starts when the web page is opened and finishes when it is closed. Then the cookie is deleted forever.
- “Persistent” cookies are where the cookie remains on your phone or computer for a specific period of time. They are activated automatically when you visit a particular website.
One other difference is if the cookie is “first-party cookie” or “third-party cookie.” A first party cookie is set by the Anixter website you’re visiting, whereas a third-party cookie is set by someone else. Anixter will only allow third-party cookies that are approved by Anixter.
By continuing to use our website, you are agreeing to the placement of cookies on your phone, mobile device or computer in order to analyze the way you use our website. You can block cookies by activating the setting on your web browser that allows you to refuse the setting of all or some cookies. These settings are usually found in the ‘options’ or ‘preferences’ menu of your web browser. In order to understand these settings or get further information, refer to the documentation provided by the provider / publisher of the web browser you are using. For further information about deleting or blocking cookies, please visit: http://www.allaboutcookies.org.
However, if you use your browser settings to block all cookies (including essential cookies), you may not be able to access all or parts of our site or perform certain functionalities of the website, such as requesting a quote.
Do we disclose any information to outside parties?
We do not sell, trade, or otherwise transfer to third parties your personally identifiable information. This does not include trusted third parties who assist us in operating our website, conducting our business, or servicing you, so long as those parties agree to keep this information confidential. We may also release your information when we believe release is appropriate to comply with the law, enforce our site policies, or protect ours or others rights, property, or safety. However, non-personally identifiable visitor information may be provided to other parties for marketing, advertising, or other uses.
Third party links
California Online Privacy Protection Act Compliance
Because we value your privacy we have taken the necessary precautions to be in compliance with the California Online Privacy Protection Act. We therefore will not distribute your personal information to outside parties without your consent.
As part of the California Online Privacy Protection Act, all users of our website may make any changes to their information at anytime by using the Contact Form or emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Children Online Privacy Protection Act Compliance
We are in compliance with the requirements of COPPA (Childrens Online Privacy Protection Act), we do not knowingly collect any information from anyone under 13 years of age. Our website, products and services are all directed to people who are at least 13 years old or older. If we learn that we have collected the personal information of a child under 13 years of age, we will take steps to delete the information as soon as possible.
This policy was last modified on August 8, 2013.
Anixter International Inc.
2301 Patriot Boulevard
Glenview, IL, 60026, USA